The British arrived in Thalassery in 1683 and errected a goods shed there. They shifted their ommercial capital to Thalassery from Kozhikkode, following obstruction from the Dutch. In 1700, the British built the Thalassery Fort on a small hill called Tiruvellapadkunnu and in 1708, it was strengthened by increasing its height and with bastions. The fort is square structure built of laterite and is distinguished by its massiv ventilated walls and strong flanking bastions. It was here that Raider’ captain was imprisoned.The famous St. John’s Anglican church is behind this fort.
Tellicherry Fort is placed in Thalassery also known as Tellicherry a town in Kannur District of Kerala in south India. The British East India Company constructed the fortified building in the year 1708 to set up a permanent and firm basis on the Malabar Coast. In 1781 Hyder Ali, The ruler of the Kingdom of Mysore, Hyder Ali was unable to achieve his goal of over powering the Fort in his campaign to take charge of Malabar.